The College is the Board of Directors
Licensed Practical Nurses in Nova Scotia are governed by the College. The Board of Directors is responsible for the Colleges’ mandate to serve and protect the public interest. The Board of Directors is made up of 11 individuals: Six (6) actively practicing LPNs who are elected through an Elections process representing the Electoral Districts; four (4) public members are appointed by Governor-in-Council; and one (1) representative from the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia (CRNNS). The Board has a number of functions to fulfill. These functions include:
- Providing accountability and linkages between the members and the College;
- Ensuring the College is fulfilling its mandates as outlined in the LPN Act and operations are consistent with College By-laws;
- Developing and reviewing annually the College’s strategic plan and directions;
- Establishing governing policies in accordance with the governing legislation, for the effective management of the College;
- Ensuring the College is managed on a sound financial basis which includes approving the annual budget; and
- Selecting, supporting and evaluating the Executive Director, whose role is to carry out and implement the decisions of the Board of Directors.
The Board makes decisions that are important to LPNs. Such decisions include making changes to the Entry to Practice requirements, Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics, professional conduct processes, or establishing need for continuing competence program or requirements (i.e. health assessment and pharmacology). All decisions by the Board are made in the public interest with an understanding of the profession and the settings in which practical nursing is practiced. The Board meets on a regular basis 4 – 5 times a year.
The call for nominations for the 2017 Board for districts 3 (Halifax), 4 (Pictou, Guysborough and Antigonish) and 5 (Cape Breton) opens August 21, 2016.
2017 Board of Directors
Jason Reeves, LPN
Angie Chassé-Naugler, LPN
Anne Boutilier, LPN
Theresa MacDonald, LPN
Shaunna Snow, LPN
Cindy Yorke, LPN
Teri Crawford, RN
Director, Professional Practice & Policy Services
Re-appointed by the College of Registered Nurses of N. S.
*appointed by government