Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) in Nova Scotia have been self-regulated health care providers since 2002. The purpose of self-regulation is protection of the public. The authority and privilege of self-regulation has been granted to LPNs by the Nova Scotia government though the LPN Act. The Act also authorizes the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Nova Scotia (CLPNNS or the College) to manage the day-to-day activities of self-regulation on behalf of LPNs so it may fulfill its mandate of public protection.
The Board of Directors makes the strategic decisions about the overall direction of the College, the practice of practical nurses and is ultimately responsible to ensure the College meets its mandate of public protection. The Board is made up of 11 individuals of which six (6) are actively practicing LPNs. LPN Board members are selected through an election process and serve for a two year (2) period. Three (3) representatives are selected in even election years and three (3) representatives are selected in odd election years.
2018 Call for Nominations
Licensed Practical Nurses residing in Electoral Districts 1, 2 and 6 are called upon to nominate an LPN residing in one of these districts for a Board position commencing January 1, 2018 and ending December 31, 2019. LPNs may self-nominate.
Information for Nominators
- It is important to ask your nominee if they are willing and able to accept the nomination and the role if they are elected.
- Complete the Nomination Form (links below), taking care to complete the form corresponding to the nominee’s electoral district.
- Nomination Form District 1: Lunenburg, Queens, Shelburne, and Yarmouth counties
- Nomination Form District 2: Hants, Kings, Annapolis, and Digby counties
- Nomination Form District 6: Colchester and Cumberland counties
- Return the completed form (with both signatures) no later than 3 p.m. October 6, 2017. Nominations received after this time will not be considered. Elections will be held in November 2017.
Information for Nominees
- Nominees should be committed to working with the College under a policy governance structure to ensure public safety.
- Nominees should be prepared to attend a minimum of four (4) Board meetings each year and approximately one (1) or two (2) committee meetings each year. The College reimburses travel related expenses.
Nomination forms will be posted here on Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
Return the completed nomination form by 3 p.m. October 6, 2017. Attention to:
Ann Mann, Executive Director/Registrar CLPNNS 302 – 7071 Bayers Road Halifax, NS B3L 2C2 By Fax: 1-902-425-6811 By Email: email@example.com .